Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Cop-Out Blog

I know this is a total cop-out blog, especially considering how remiss I have been about posting in the last few weeks, but things are really busy here. I was in Moscow briefly this weekend and I'm busy now preparing lessons for the english classes I'm going to be teaching next week. So with out further ado I bring you "The Quote Edition"

The combination of translation issues and being in Russia has lead to some pretty worthwhile quotes. I thought I would share them with my lovely blog readers. WARNING: some of these quotes border on the inappropriate, that's what makes them so funny. Consider yourself warned.

QUOTE:"Think about it Craig, why can you buy a baseball bat in Russia, but not a ball or a glove"
SPEAKER: Vanya
CONTEXT: baseball and self defense

QUOTE:"then you must ask question: how come all these people who forced to take theology in schools then take pistols and going around killing all the priests? this big problem, yes?"
SPEAKER: History professor (voice similar to borat)
CONTEXT: rise of the intelligentsia

QUOTE: "I hope that you will let me stay in your house and not discharge on me."
SPEAKER: Russian student of Elizabeth's
CONTEXT: Writing a paper to a "host family" about living at their flat. Student didn't want to be kicked out of the apartment for smoking

QUOTE: "The minister of the region promised to provide them with three millions Jews"
SPEAKER: ME
CONTEXT: In class after reading an article on an Italian earthquake. The words Jews and Euros are very close in Russian.

QUOTE: "This is history, you much be precise and factual. We are not sociologist, toying around will silly intellectual masturbation."
SPEAKER: History Professor
CONTEXT: the factual content of my essay on silver age art

QUOTE: "Why you take picture like that? Look normal!"
SPEAKER: Asian family who wanted to take a picture with me at halftime of my football game.
CONTEXT: so i may have taken the first picture with a goofy grin, rocking peace signs with both hands, but come on. who tells the sports star how to pose in a picture.

I promise I'll post at least once or twice more this week. I owe you guys. I might even put up some pictures if you are lucky. There is a good one of me running from security at a park, HQ stuff.

ramble on,
craig

2 comments:

J said...

the quad will be happy, particularly about the history professor making fun of my discipline. We've felt deprived of Craig Zevin humor in the quad recently.

daddy-0 said...

well, you managed to get after your father and brother. Mom's happy to be left out of this one.

No surprise to me that the Russian word for Euro is close to the Russian word for Jew.